President, Boras Corporation
Thirty-seven years of professional baseball experience since 1974. Played infield and outfield with the St. Louis Cardinals (1974-77) and Chicago Cubs (1977-78) organizations. Attorney at Law who practiced law as a medical litigator in a large Chicago law firm prior to representing baseball players. Earned All-America honors and served as team captain at University of the Pacific. Inducted into the UOP Athletics Hall of Fame in 2005. Was 2002 Alumnus of the Year at McGeorge School of Law.
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
University of the Pacific, PHM in Industrial Pharmacology
Named “Most Influential Non-Player in the last 25 Years” by Baseball America
– In 2010, ranked #1 sports agent in the world by Yahoo Finance.
– In 2009, top ranked agent on Sports Business Journal’s 50 Most Influential in Sports list.
– In 2008, ranked #1 agent in baseball by Sports Business Journal.
– In 2007, top-ranked agent and 12th overall in Business Week’s Power 100, a list of the most powerful people in all of sports
The Boras Corporation serves baseball players only
Scott became an attorney dedicated to baseball because he saw a need for qualified representation and fair treatment of players in the industry. The Boras Corporation consists of four companies with over 200 years of professional baseball experience dedicated solely to the service of baseball players. The Boras Corporation, Boras Marketing, Boras Sports Training and Personal Management Consultants simplify the complex issues and on- & off-field decisions confronting players and their families.
The Boras Team is uniquely built to serve and protect the on & off-field goals of elite players
– 37 World Champions: Robinson Cano, Johnny Damon, Derek Lowe, Barry Zito, Manny Ramirez, Jonathan Sanchez, Ryan Madson — among others.
– 3 Cy Young Award Winners: Eric Gagne, Greg Maddux, Barry Zito.
– 4 Most Valuable Players: Barry Bonds, Keith Hernandez, Alex Rodriguez, Ivan Rodriguez
– 18 Gold Glove Award Winners: Carlos Pena, Andruw Jones, Carlos Beltran, Ivan Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Jason Varitek, Carlos Gonzalez — among others.
– 25 Silver Slugger Award Winners: Adrian Beltre, Matt Holliday, Carlos Gonzalez, Magglio Ordonez — among others.
– Over the course of his career, has secured over $4.0 billion in player contracts.
– Negotiated the largest contract in the history of professional team sports (Alex Rodriguez, $275M, 2008-17).
– Negotiated the first $50 million, $100 million, and $200 million contracts in MLB history (Greg Maddux, Kevin Brown, ARod).
– Negotiated first $125M+ pitcher’s salary (Barry Zito, $126M)
– Recorded the most salary arbitration (baseball litigation) victories (15) in the ’90s – more than twice as many as any other player representative – and the most salary arbitration victories in MLB history (19).
– Advised 89 first-rounders in the amateur draft since 1983 and negotiated an unparalleled $300+ million in draft compensation, including 25 major league guaranteed contracts.
– 2011 – landed the biggest bonus in draft history with the third #1 overall pick in a row (Gerrit Cole – $8.0M), the biggest high school bonus ever (Bubba Starling – $7.5M), and set the all-time record for a single draft, at over $43.0M.
– 2010 – set new standard for position players with #1 overall Bryce Harper’s $9.9M major league guarantee (largest position player compensation ever).
– 2009 – Stephen Strasburg, $15.4M (major-league deal), largest draft comp ever.
– Boras family trust founded Homerun for Humanity, an organization committed to inner-city baseball youth organizations, including donating fields at the youth, high school, and collegiate levels.
– Guest lecturer at university law & business schools, as well as private entities.