Corporate Partner, Ropes & Gray’s Technology Group
Jim DeGraw is a corporate partner in Ropes & Gray’s technology group. With a background in computer science, Jim regularly leads projects for clients where technology, data or other IP assets are the key drivers. In addition to technology-driven mergers & acquisitions, Jim’s transactional work includes working with clients to structure complex and strategic technology relationships, including cross-border joint ventures, multi-faceted business licensing transactions and tactical business process outsourcing relationships.
A certified privacy professional, CIPP/US, Jim’s practice includes advising clients on the collection, handling and protection of data by their organizations; evaluating data policies and practices; responding to data security breaches and incidents, and otherwise navigating the opportunities and concerns raised by changes to data privacy and security laws and by the growth of cloud services and social media.
Jim also regularly advises clients on strategies for maximizing the value in their data, technology and intellectual property assets, whether through data aggregation and analysis, targeted marketing campaigns, international brand and product expansion efforts, or patent portfolio licensing programs by academic research centers, and on strategies for putting comprehensive intellectual property protection programs in place for those assets.
• JD, cum laude, 1991, New York University School of Law, Managing Editor, Law Review
• BS (Computer Science), 1984, Columbia University
• California, 2012
• Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2011
• Massachusetts, 1992
• New York, 1992
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1997
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1996
• U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1994
• Honorable Amalya L. Kearse, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
• Honorable Robert W. Sweet, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York